[Haskell-cafe] Word rigid in "`a' is a rigid type variable..."

Adam Gundry adam at well-typed.com
Wed Nov 13 17:52:13 UTC 2013

Hi Vlatko,

On 13/11/13 17:24, Vlatko Basic wrote:
> Thanks for explanation. If I understood correctly, 'rigid' refers  the
> requirement, not the type itself.

It refers to the type *variable*. This is a standard term [1] from
unification theory, where variables are divided into two kinds:

* rigid variables, which may not be filled in by the unifier; and
* flexible variables, which may be filled in to solve a constraint.

As Brandon says, a variable in a type declaration means "any type", so
it is rigid. Flexible variables are introduced when you use a
polymorphic definition, and the type inference algorithm must solve for
them.

Sometimes one speaks of a "rigid type", meaning a type that is either
constant (like String) or a rigid variable.

> I think that more intuitive/understandable would be something like
>
>     'b' has too rigid type for 'a' ...
>
> At least, that is what I have to tell myself when I encounter this issue

You may well be right that this error message could be easier to
understand, but in suggesting an alternative, be careful to be
consistent with the existing meaning of "rigid".

Adam

[1] Which is to say, I can't remember where it originates.

--
Adam Gundry, Haskell Consultant