[Haskell-cafe] off-topic question: why invent new Haskell-like compile-to-js functional languages when we have awesome js_of_ocaml ?

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 22:38:32 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Ömer Sinan Ağacan <omeragacan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> That's great news. I wonder if that means it'll be end for Fay and similar
> languages?

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Carter Schonwald <
carter.schonwald at gmail.com> wrote:

> that said, having full ghc haskell to target JS will be pretty amazing :)

I think the biggest determiner, by far, is ease of integration and
deployment. Integration means things like how can I use this with a web
page, full other other bits in JS (like google analytics, and FB plug-ins),
and access jQuery. Deployment means things like how easily I can edit, and
then see that code run *in situ.* These things, more than language
completeness, will determine what succeeds.  (viz. PHP!)

- Mark