[Haskell-cafe] Installing pandoc without root

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 13:00:54 UTC 2013

On 10 November 2013 23:36, Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 10.11.2013, 12:14 +0000 schrieb Theo Moore:
>> From what I understand, I need to install zlib1g-dev.
>
> installing stuff as non-root is a general problem, and not particularly
> related to Haskell (in fact, the problem is rather solved for Haskell).
>
> I’ve heard good things about using NixOS to install your own stuff as a
> user, and in your own home directory:
> http://nixos.org/

Except I think you just use the nix package manager rather than the
full-blown NixOS for that ;-)

An alternative for that is gentoo-prefix:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/

Or, if you just have a few C libraries you want to install as a user,
then GNU Stow can help managing them:
http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/

(Any which way you go, of course, you'll probably need to start with
installing the tools you need for it ;-)