[Haskell-cafe] Installing pandoc without root

Theo Moore tsgmoore at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 12:14:17 UTC 2013

I am trying to install the Haskell libraries for pandoc on a local
home folder and without root access, using the command:

cabal install pandoc

However, I run into the error:
cabal: Missing dependency on a foreign library:
* Missing (or bad) header file: zlib.h
* Missing C library: z

>From what I understand, I need to install zlib1g-dev. GHC and cabal
install are available, but without root access I'm having trouble
figuring out how to provide the necessary zlib files. I've tried to
download the source of zlib1g-dev, but in order to compile it, I have
to use "make" which I do not have the priviledge to invoke.

Can someone guide me through getting pandoc up and running without
root access? The system is Debian 3.2.41-2 x86_64 GNU/Linux.