[Haskell-cafe] float show instances

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 19:33:01 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 2:12 AM, Anthony Cowley <acowley at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
> I, too, am not a fan of those default Show instances for readability reasons. The silver lining is that this causes me to reach for printf sooner rather than later, which lets me format things appropriately at an early stage.

True, that's basically the same approach (i.e. doing my own
formatting) I wound up with.  Though usually not with printf because
the whole type unsafe thing.  But I did waste a fair amount of time
over a number of years before realizing that custom formatting is
almost always worth it, even for one off Debug.traces, and I wound up
with my own trace library for the same reason.

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Tobias Müller <troplin at bluewin.ch> wrote:
>> (and if so, would they prefer to see 100 as 1e3)?
>
> I hope not, because it's wrong.

See, I told you I'm no good at this scienterrific physical faddle!  I
can't even get it right when I'm writing it.