[Haskell-cafe] How to avoid floods of fromIntegral (in ALSA.Sequencer)

martin martin.drautzburg at web.de
Sun Nov 3 17:36:16 UTC 2013

Am 11/03/2013 03:35 PM, schrieb Niklas Hambüchen:
> It depends a bit:
>
> What is supposed to happen / what happens in your library when one of
> the numbers is larger than a Word8?
>
> That usually determines where / how the conversion fits in nicely.
>
> For example, if you already know that all the values in DtzEvent can
> only be Word8s, then they should probably already be Word8s and not Int.

Silly me,

yes using Word8 instead of Ints got rid of most of the fromIntegrals. I didn't know that Word8 was an actual haskell
type. Thought it was something private to ALSA.Sequencer.

There is one remaining fromIntegral. This is "time"

    Couldn't match expected type `alsa-seq-0.6.0.2:Sound.ALSA.Sequencer.Marshal.Time.Tick'
                with actual type `T'

This seems to be realy a private thing and I found to way other than fromIntegral to make the compiler happy.