[Haskell-cafe] Cabal sandboxes over cabal-dev (Rogan Creswick)

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Fri Nov 1 21:43:53 UTC 2013

Hello Gregory,

On 2013-11-01 at 14:30:17 +0100, Gregory Guthrie wrote:
>    "I *strongly* suggest everyone start transitioning from cabal-dev to cabal sandboxes."
>
> Is there any reason that this is not just the default install mode for
> Cabal?

'cabal install'ing a package manually has usually the purpose to make it
available to a 'ghc --make SomeHaskellProg.hs' (n.b. a .cabal-less
compilation) or for 'runghc SomeHaskellScript.hs'; is this possible with
'cabal sandbox' environments, and if not, what purpose does it serve to
'cabal install <some-package>' into a sandbox by default?

Cheers,
  hvr