[Haskell-cafe] cabal-install sandbox with happy and alex

Badi' Abdul-Wahid abdulwahidc at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 00:07:40 UTC 2013

Hi Brandon, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't do the
trick:

[0 :)] badi at olorin /private/tmp/sb
~> export PATH=/tmp/sb/.cabal-sandbox/bin:$PATH

[0 :)] badi at olorin /tmp/sb
~> cabal install happy alex
Resolving dependencies...
Notice: installing into a sandbox located at /private/tmp/sb/.cabal-sandbox
Configuring alex-3.1.0...
Configuring happy-1.19.0...
Building alex-3.1.0...
Building happy-1.19.0...
Failed to install happy-1.19.0
Last 10 lines of the build log (
/private/tmp/sb/.cabal-sandbox/logs/happy-1.19.0.log ):
Building happy-1.19.0...
Preprocessing executable 'happy' for happy-1.19.0...
setup: The program happy is required but it could not be found
Failed to install alex-3.1.0
Last 10 lines of the build log (
/private/tmp/sb/.cabal-sandbox/logs/alex-3.1.0.log ):
Building alex-3.1.0...
Preprocessing executable 'alex' for alex-3.1.0...
setup: The program happy is required but it could not be found
alex-3.1.0 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1
happy-1.19.0 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Badi' Abdul-Wahid wrote:
>>
>> > I've run into difficulty building happy and alex using the sandbox
>> feature
>> > of cabal-install 1.18.0.2.
>> > Installation of dependencies succeeds but both happy and alex fail with:
>> >
>> >     setup: The program happy is required but it could not be found
>> >
>> > My workaround is to use the --only-dependencies flag, install the
>> > dependencies, and manually install the packages.
>>
>> I've run into this problem myself on Linux. My solution is to install
>> ghc, happy, alex, hlint and cabal-install from debian packages and
>> everything else using cabal install (either with or without using
>> sandboxes).
>>

> At a guess, both of you need to find the bin directory created *in the
> sandbox* and add it to $PATH while working in the sandbox. Perhaps there is
> some better way for cabal sandboxes to handle this automatically.
>
> --
> brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine
> associates
> allbery.b at gmail.com
> ballbery at sinenomine.net
> http://sinenomine.net