[Haskell-cafe] using a win32 dll (Happy too soon)

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu May 30 16:13:22 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 3:15 AM, Kees Bleijenberg <
k.bleijenberg at lijbrandt.nl> wrote:

> argument. The dll is in the PATH. I don't understand why it needs the -L
> argument. I'll figure this out later. If I use -lglasPng.dll (additional
> .dll) it doesn't work either.

Unix has standard places to install and search for libraries; Windows
doesn't, and almost every library that doesn't come with your build system
will need at least one -L option to tell the linker where to find it.

As I mentioned in my first message, it looks for multiple file names with
-l: first it tries a .dll, then it tries a .lib (static library or import
library for older DLLs). It does this mechanically; if you also include the
.dll suffix, then it looks for library.dll.dll and library.dll.lib, which
is almost certainly wrong.