[Haskell-cafe] Ghent FPG meeting on 26 June, 2013

Jasper Van der Jeugt m at jaspervdj.be
Thu May 30 00:26:36 CEST 2013

Hello,

The "Functional Programming Group Ghent" (GhentFPG) [1] is a friendly group for
all people interested in functional programming, with a tendency
towards Haskell.
It is organised as part of Zeus WPI [2].

We are pleased to announce that we will hold a next meeting on Wednesday, 26th
of June, starting at 19h00! There will be three talks.

The main presentation, by Adam Bergmark from Silk [3] is about Fay [4]:

  Fay is a proper subset of Haskell that compiles to JavaScript. There is a
  compiler with the same name written in Haskell. Web browsers only speak
  JavaScript but more and more people find that they want to compile to
  JavaScript instead.

  Why do we want to compile Haskell to JavaScript, and what advantages does
  Fay have compared to other compilers?

  What are the challenges in compiling Haskell and supporting a language
  ecosystem, and how do we do it?

  What can Fay currently do, and what is planned for the future?

  This will be a broad overview about Fay for prospective users, followed by
  an in-depth look at interesting parts of the compiler internals.

Additionally, there will be two short talks by two students who did an
Msc. Thesis
about functional programming languages:

  "Genetic Algorithms in Haskell" by Matthias Delbar
  "Automatic Detection of Recursion Patterns" by Jasper Van der Jeugt

The meeting will take place in the Jozef Plateauzaal at the following address,

Faculteit Ingenieurswetenschappen
Universiteit Gent
Plateaustraat 22
9000 Gent

As mentioned above, we aim to start at 19:00. After the meeting we can go
for drinks in a nearby pub (this latter part is, of course, completely optional)

We hope to see you all there!

Regards,
On behalf of the GhentFPG organising committee.

[1]: http://groups.google.com/group/ghent-fpg
[2]: http://zeus.ugent.be/
[3]: http://www.silkapp.com/
[4]: http://www.fay-lang.org/