[Haskell-cafe] Hackage Update Brigade

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Wed May 29 08:56:09 CEST 2013

On 5/27/13 5:29 PM, Alexander Solla wrote:
> As per recent discussions, I'm making a list of volunteers who are willing
> to pick up some slack in Hackage package maintenance, so that we can submit
> an amendment to the Haskell Prime Committee's ticket 113 (
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/ticket/113)

I'd much prefer sticking with the names (<*>), (<*), (*>), and deprecating
`ap` and (>>). There's no good name for (<*) since we already have (<<) =
flip (>>) which means something different entirely. Plus "`ap`" is longer
than "<*>" and loses the suggestive relationship between the operator
names. Not to mention the fact that these name changes would cause immense
breakage for all users of Applicative, rather than relatively minor
breakage for those who define Monad instances.

--
Live well,
~wren