[Haskell-cafe] [haskell.org Google Summer of Code 2013] Approved Projects

Ben Lippmeier benl at ouroborus.net
Wed May 29 02:24:27 CEST 2013

On 29/05/2013, at 1:11 AM, Edward Kmett wrote:

> This unfortunately means, that we can't really show the unaccepted proposals with information about how to avoid getting your proposal rejected.

You can if you rewrite the key points of proposal to retain the overall message, but remove identifying information. I think it would be helpful to write up some of the general reasons for projects being rejected.

I tried to do this for Haskell experience reports, on the Haskell Symposium experience report advice page.
 http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/HaskellSymposium/ExperienceReports

I'd imagine you could write up some common proposal / rejection / advice tuples like:

Proposal: I want to write a MMORPG in Haskell, because this would be a good demonstration for Haskell in a large real world project. We can use this as a platform to develop the networking library infrastructure.

Rejection: This project is much too big, and the production of a MMORPG wouldn't benefit the community as a whole.

Advice: If you know of specific problems in the networking library infrastructure, then focus on those, using specific examples of where people have tried to do something and failed.

Ben.