[Haskell-cafe] How to throw an error if using "cabal-install" < version XYZ?

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Thu May 23 05:53:35 CEST 2013

Hey Ryan,
I ran into a related issue, heres a a way you can do this safe IN the cabal
file (or at least you can modify my hack for your purposes)

heres a link to the workaround I did for making LLVM-hs work across >= 1.17
and < 1.17 cabal, but you could abuse it to make sure setup.hs barfs on old
cabal https://github.com/bos/llvm/blob/master/base/Setup.hs#L89-L116

heres a quick one off gist that takes my trick and does something helpful
for you variant + makes sure the tool can't build otherwise

https://gist.github.com/cartazio/5632636

I just wrote a snippet that you can just add to your setup.hs and it should
guarantee the setup.hs will barf with a helpful error message on cabal <
1.17.0