[Haskell-cafe] DSL to English and back for game rule set?

Matthew O'Connor thegreendragon at gmail.com
Sun May 19 22:27:33 CEST 2013

Hello all,

I recognize this isn't directly a Haskell-related question, but as I'd like
to solve this problem in Haskell & figured it's applicable. Let me know if
there's a better place to ask.

I am interested in creating a DSL (or set of types) for describing rules
for a computer game. I'd like the language to be able to be written out to
readable and clear English. I'd also like to be able to recreate the
representation by reading the English back in. The idea is that the DSL
will be unambiguous in either English or its internal representation. My
thinking is that this will avoid inconsistencies between the game rules and
the text describing those rules to the players.

I want the ruleset to be able to describe type of heroes and monsters,
their abilities, the effects of their attacks, how they use resources, etc.

I realize this may not be an efficient way to go about writing a game, but
it seems like an interesting project. Some of my concerns are at what level
the DSL should be written to allow for extensions for new heroes, monsters,
etc. without having to just add very specific extensions every time a new
hero or item is created.

Does anyone have thoughts on how to proceed on this, previous work, and/or
ways to investigate it?

Thanks,
Matthew