[Haskell-cafe] Stream processing

Ertugrul Söylemez es at ertes.de
Sat May 11 13:24:33 CEST 2013

oleg at okmij.org wrote:

> I'm a bit curious
> > * be reliable in the presence of async exceptions (solved by
> > conduit, pipes-safe),
> >
> > * hold on to resources only as long as necessary (solved by conduit
> > and to some degree by pipes-safe),
>
> Are you aware of
>         http://okmij.org/ftp/Streams.html#regions
> which describes both resource deallocation and async signals. Could
> you tell what you think is deficient in that code?

Conceptually all of them could solve that in some way.  After all they
all have an underlying monad, which could implement that.  In fact
that's what conduit does:  it uses ResourceT.

> > * ideally also allow upstream communication (solved by pipes and to
> > some degree by conduit).
>
> Are you aware (of, admittedly) old message whose title was
> specifically ``Sending messages up-and-down the iteratee-enumerator
> chain''
> http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2011-May/091870.html
> (there were several messages in that thread). Here is the code for
> those messages http://okmij.org/ftp/Haskell/Iteratee/UpDown.hs

Same here.  Conceptually you could solve it in all stream processing
abstractions by small adjustments.

However, my real question hasn't been answered so far.  Is my
formulation of the stream processing problem accurate/complete?

Greets,
Ertugrul

--
Key-ID: E5DD8D11 "Ertugrul Soeylemez <es at ertes.de>"
FPrint: BD28 3E3F BE63 BADD 4157  9134 D56A 37FA E5DD 8D11