[Haskell-cafe] Stream processing

Ertugrul Söylemez es at ertes.de
Fri May 10 16:56:05 CEST 2013

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to formulate the stream processing problem, which doesn't
seem to be solved fully by the currently existing patterns.  I'm
experimenting with a new idea, but I want to make sure that I don't miss
any defining features of the problem, so here is my list.  A stream
processing abstraction should:

  * have a categorically proven design (solved by iteratees, pipes),

  * be composable (solved by all of them),

  * be reasonably easy to understand and work with (solved by conduit,
    pipes),

  * support leftovers (solved by conduit and to some degree by
    iteratees),

  * be reliable in the presence of async exceptions (solved by conduit,
    pipes-safe),

  * hold on to resources only as long as necessary (solved by conduit
    and to some degree by pipes-safe),

  * ideally also allow upstream communication (solved by pipes and to
    some degree by conduit).

  * be fast (solved by all of them).

Anything else you would put in that list?

Greets,
Ertugrul