[Haskell-cafe] Interfacing Java/Haskell

Hans Georg Schaathun georg+haskell at schaathun.net
Thu May 9 17:44:45 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 11:29:19AM -0400, Dan Mead wrote:
> if you're on the jvm already why not consider clojure?

This is why (from the clojure site you referenced):
«Clojure is impure, in that it doesn't force your program to be
referentially transparent, and doesn't strive for 'provable' programs.»

I won't say anything about the general suitability of clojure, but I
will not learn a new language at this stage unless it gives me
purity, strictness, and transparency.

But thanks anyway.  It is useful to be aware of.

> otherwise you'll have to do some fancy JNI calls and worry about calling
> haskell from C, like this
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Calling_Haskell_from_C

I was afraid so, and JNI appears to have a rumour for awkwardness,
although there might be some simplifying overlays.

--
:-- Hans Georg