[Haskell-cafe] Lambda Calculus question on equivalence

Andreas Abel andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
Fri May 3 16:34:28 CEST 2013

The answer to your question is given in Boehm's theorem, and the answer
is "no", as you suspect.

For the untyped lambda-calculus, alpha-equivalence of beta-eta normal
forms is the same as observational equivalence.  Or put the other way
round, two normal forms which are not alpha-equivalent can be separated
by an observation L.

Cheers,
Andreas