[Haskell-cafe] Backward compatibility

Tom Ellis tom-lists-haskell-cafe-2013 at jaguarpaw.co.uk
Fri May 3 15:53:47 CEST 2013

On Fri, May 03, 2013 at 09:34:21PM +0800, Adrian May wrote:
> I never doubted that people add new stuff for valid reasons. What I'm
> interested in is whether or not it could have been done without breaking
> anything. But having thought about it for a while, I'm tending to think
> that version controlling all the standard modules is the only general
> solution.

I think you may be overestimating the severity of the "breakage" that
applies to the WashNGo package.

In Haskell2010 a number of module locations were renamed in order to reduce
clutter.  For example, IO became System.IO, List became Data.List and Monad
became Control.Monad.

I'm pretty sure that updating all of these module names will fix the
problem.  No one has bothered because the package is very old and there are
more suitable alternatives these days.

Tom