[Haskell-cafe] Backward compatibility

Michael Sloan mgsloan at gmail.com
Fri May 3 15:01:00 CEST 2013

Dependency breakage is certainly an unavoidable problem.  However, I think
Haskell is also in a much better position for having a technical solution
to the frustration of breakages.

Barring issues with changing datatypes / class instances, we can already
express many of the API changes you'd want to make to some library [1].
 Now, no one actually does what this proposal suggests - it's a lot of
work, and it doesn't work in general.  However, the fact that Haskell makes
something like this seem reasonable is heartening.

Of course, even if we had good tools that automatically refactored code to
use new APIs, it wouldn't be possible for any non-superficial changes.
 Even so, if a good enough refactoring tool existed, and it was popular
with both authors and users, a lot of the annoyance of dependency breakages
could be removed.

-Michael

[1]
http://haskellwiki.gitit.net/The%20Monad.Reader/Issue2/EternalCompatibilityInTheory