[Haskell-cafe] Backward compatibility

Raphael Gaschignard dasuraga at gmail.com
Fri May 3 10:43:47 CEST 2013

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com>wrote:

>  One of the great things about the Haskell mailing lists is the
> supportive, respectful tone that is the dominant mode of discourse.  I
> sense that things are getting a little out of control in this particular
> thread.  Even though this particular issue is clearly extremely frustrating
> for those involved, it would be great to turn down the emotional
> temperature.****

I don’t know why Haskell folk tend to be so generous and helpful, but they
> really are. (Maybe it’s the hylomorphisms.)  Anyway, let’s keep it that way.
> ****

Agreed, the thing that surprised me the most when I started reading this
list was how nice people were, even when faced with some pretty hostile
people.

I think we all agree that dependency management is hard in any system,
especially with a lot of generally unmaintained pieces. And the fact that
100% backwards compatibility doesn't seem to be a directive in the language
committee like it might be for languages like C++ might frustrate people.

I'm pretty sure most of us have experienced some issue with dependencies
breaking , and its probably the most frustrating problem we can have have
in any language. It's hard not to take this all a bit personally. Maybe if
we think more about how to solve this (getting people to maintain their
stuff, for example) we can make the world a better place instead of
bickering about issues that are more or less language-agnostic really.

On a side note is there a place where we can see what packages have broken
on recent releases?