[Haskell-cafe] Upgrading GHC 7.6.3 global packages to latest versions

Rouan van Dalen rvdalen at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 28 10:06:44 CEST 2013

Hi,

I am trying to install the latest version of some hackage packages I use often in GHC 7.6.3.

However, I am having some problems with packages like [containers] and [time], which
are shipped with GHC as global packages.

Now when I try to install the latest version of the [time] package, I have 2
time packages, 1 in the global package db (the older version), and 1 in the user package db
(the newer version).

Now I would like subsequent installed packages to always use the latest version of the [time]
package.  But if i try to install the [plugins] package, cabal says:

#In order, the following would be installed:
#ghc-paths-0.1.0.9 (new package)
#random-1.0.1.1 (reinstall) changes: time-1.4.1 -> 1.4.0.1
#plugins-1.5.3.0 (new package)

So I guess I have 2 options here:

1. unregister all the global packages so that I can
install the latest versions of all the global packages.

2. force cabal to only look at latest packages in user package db (not sure
if this is possible).

Can anyone please point me in the right direction here.  I have read about
[cabal-dev], but I am not sure if it can be used to solve my problem.

Regards
--Rouan