[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: module-management-0.9.3 - clean import lists, split and merge modules

David Fox dsf at seereason.com
Fri Jun 28 04:35:11 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:
> Excerpts from David Fox's message of Fri Jun 28 04:04:59 +0200 2013:
>> So you will get modules Start.A, Start.B and Start.C.  If there are
>
> But that's very unlikly what the programmer wants. I mean I might want
> Types and Funs as module names, move A,B to Types, C to Funs.
>
> I agree that I could reach my goal using a "merge" afterwards ?
>
> Because some modules may have many symbols having that many files
> created feels strange.
>
> Useful for the programmer (me?) would be:
>
> up to line 200 move to A, from 200 till end move to module B
>
> Even if you think the way to go is creating 50 files (because you happen
> to have 50 symbols) you may want to consider telling the user that he
> knows what to expect - and that you welcome patches to make this even
> nicer and more useful.
>
> Marc Weber

Yes, these are issues that should be addressed by layers on top of
what I have so far.  I could even see this being integrated into an
IDE.  The split-in-two operation sounds very useful.  As does
mega-split warning.  Moving a single symbol, or a list of symbols,
sounds like another great option.  I realized that split was not going
to be the final solution, but it had a very simple signature and led
to the implementation of all the mechanisms these nicer operations
will require.