[Haskell-cafe] LLVM Backend status

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Thu Jun 27 22:33:50 CEST 2013

B B wrote:

> 1) Is the LLVM Backend actively developed or should I be afraid it will be
> discontinued or broken?

My understanding is that it is being actively developed. Currently for
numerical code, the LLVM backend performs better than the native codegen.
I also think that the LLVM backend is the only option for ARM.

> 2) How can I generate the LLVM IR (or bc) files from the compiler? I see
> that durign compilation with -fllvm -v3 flags the bc files are created but
> they are immidietly (after usage) deleted - Is it possible to tell the
> compiler not to delete them?

As someone else stated, use `-keep-llvm-files` but be aware that
GHC uses a custom calling convention so calling into GHC generated
LLVM code is non-trivial.

HTH,
Erik