[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Platform 2013.2.0.0 64bit.pkg

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Thu Jun 13 08:13:27 CEST 2013

My original problem was that I wanted to load a particular set of
packages using 'cabal install'.  It didn't work (cabal install issues)
and while the maintainer reacted promptly and helpfully, cabal
kept on trying to install the wrong version.

Part of the problem was that blasting away ~/.cabal and ~/Library/Haskell
wasn't enough:  it's necessary to blast away ~/.ghc as well (which I had
forgotten existed and of course never saw).

* It would be handy if 'uninstall-hs' had an option, say
* uninstall-hs --user
* so that a user could in one step make it as if they had never
* used the Haskell Platform.

(Sigh.  Changes to the GHC command line interface since 7.0 have
broken one of the packages I used to have installed, and the
maintainer's e-mail address doesn't work any more.  And sometimes
it seems as if every time I install anything with cabal something
else breaks.)

PS. Earlier today cabal gave me some confusing messages which
turned out to mean 'GSL isn't installed'.  Non-Haskell dependencies
could be explained a little more clearly.