[Haskell-cafe] Why isn't hsc2hs functionality provided by ghc?

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 06:44:36 CEST 2013

I agree that preprocessing code shouldn't be hsc2hs specific.  I prefer
c2hs myself.  But hsc2hs is distributed with ghc, which makes it as
official as a good many other parts of "modern Haskell".

I also agree that making cabal-ghci work nicely would be ideal, but I don't
think it can be done without either adding hooks into ghci or wrapping
stdin.  As Roman points out, if you use :r in ghci, cabal-ghci wouldn't
pick up changes in the source file.  Using ghc's support for custom
preprocessors seems like a very straightforward solution: it already
exists, can be used today, and isn't tied to hsc2hs.

Not that this should stop anyone from working on cabal-ghci of course.