[Haskell-cafe] Array, Vector, Bytestring

Artyom Kazak yom at artyom.me
Tue Jun 4 01:32:58 CEST 2013

silvio <silvio.frischi at gmail.com> писал(а) в своём письме Mon, 03 Jun 2013
22:16:08 +0300:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Every time I want to use an array in Haskell, I find myself having to
> look up in the doc how they are used, which exactly are the modules I
> have to import ... and I am a bit tired of staring at type signatures
> for 10 minutes to figure out how these arrays work every time I use them
> (It's even worse when you have to write the signatures). I wonder how
> other people perceive this issue and what possible solutions could be.

Recently I’ve started to perceive this issue as “hooray, we have lenses
now, a generic interface for all the different messy stuff we have”. But
yes, the inability to have One Common API for All Data Structures is
bothering me as well.

> Why do we need so many different implementations of the same thing? In
> the ghc libraries alone we have a vector, array and bytestring package
> all of which do the same thing, as demonstrated for instance by the
> vector-bytestring package. To make matters worse, the haskell 2010
> standard has includes a watered down version of array.

Indeed. What we need is `text` for strings (and stop using `bytestring`)
and reworked `vector` for arrays (with added code from `StorableVector` —
basically a lazy ByteString-like chunked array).

> I don't really see a reason for having an index of a type other than Int
> and that starts somewhere else than at 0.

It’s a bad idea. I, for one, don’t really see how writing `Vector (Vector
(Vector Int))` can be considered even remotely satisfying by anyone. And
if you’re considering 3D arrays “a corner case”, then I’m afraid I can’t
agree with you.

Also, arrays which allow negative indexing can save a lot of headache and
prevent mistakes which generally occur when a programmer is forced to
constantly keep in mind that index 2000 is actually 0 and 0 is −2000.

> # Storable vs Unboxed
>
> Is there really a difference between Storable and Unboxed arrays and if
> so can't this be fixed in the complier rather than having to expose this
> problem to the programmer?

Storable seems to be mainly for marshalling, and most people who need it
are (probably) library writers. I don’t know for sure, though, but it
doesn’t appear to be a big issue.

> # ST s vs IO
>
> This is probably the hardest to resolve issue. The easiest solution is
> probably to just have a module for each of them as in the array package.
> I find the PrimState a bit complicated and circuitous.
>
> The ideal solution would be to have
>
>    type IO a = ST RealWorld# a
>
> in the next haskell standard.

Sure, except that IO is actually *not* ST+Realworld, and only happens to
be implemented like that in GHC (not in JHC, for instance). It has been
discussed before:
http://haskell.1045720.n5.nabble.com/IO-ST-RealWorld-td3190075.html . (Not
to mention people attempting to rewrite RealWorld# values and create havoc
and fire missiles everywhere expecting them to disappear the very moment
they smile knowingly and `put` the original RealWorld# back.)