[Haskell-cafe] Int is broken [Was: Different answers on different machines]

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 08:58:59 CEST 2013

Indeed, as Dan says, theres the safeint library and the Integer type.

If the Int type had either of these semantics by default, many many
performance sensitive libraries would suddenly have substantially less
compelling performance.  Every single operation that was branchless before
would have a branch *every* operation..... this would be BAD.

I'm actually quite happy with (ab)using Int as just a sequence of bits that
sometimes i treat as a number, and sometimes i treat as a bitvector. In
fact thats actually most of my work these days. GHC generates VERY nice
code for Ints and Words, similar to what i'd expect to be Generated by a
decent C compiler when not explicitly using SIMD operations.  This is a
good thing!

Additionally, theres work in progress to support "branchless" Bool
operations in GHC by having Bool be represented internally With 0,1 valued
Ints, http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/PrimBool

point being: its easy to have the safety with SafeInt, or Using Integer,
and fast inner loops can't have branches, and that actually matters in many
applications.

cheers
-Carter