[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: hdbi-1.0.0 and hdbi-postgresql-1.0.0

Tom Ellis tom-lists-haskell-cafe-2013 at jaguarpaw.co.uk
Wed Jul 31 10:12:16 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 09:45:50AM +0600, Alexey Uimanov wrote:
> Hello, haskellers. This is the first release of HDBI (Haskell Database
> Independent interface).

Hi, thanks for this Alexey.  It's great that there is continued development
of this really important infrustructure for Haskell.

I have a question about variable interpolation, that is, using "?" parameter
placeholders in the query strings, as documented here:

    http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/hdbi/1.0.0/doc/html/Database-HDBI.html

I know postgresql-simple does this, and presumably database access libraries
in other languages do this too.

What is the rationale for this when in Haskell we have safer methods of
interpolation at our disposal (for example HoleyMonoid)?  Is it simply a
matter of using the most familiar interface, or is there a deeper reason
this is necessary?

Thanks,

Tom