[Haskell-cafe] Parsec question

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Thu Jul 25 00:11:22 CEST 2013

To construct such an example, you have to ask yourself: when can we get a
list of more than one element?

Consider this:

  a = char 'a'

  ((a >> a) <|> a) >> a

Suppose that our input is "aa". The result of ((a >> a) <|> a) would be
the list

If you proceed with the first element of the list, the overall parse
will fail. It can only succeed if you then try the second element.

By the way, you shouldn't confuse Parsec (the library) with the general
concept of parser combinators or the implementation from the paper you
reference. The above parse would fail in Parsec as well, despite the
fact that Parsec allows backtracking.

Roman

* Kashyap CK <ckkashyap at gmail.com> [2013-07-24 08:38:53-0700]