[Haskell-cafe] List Monads and non-determinism

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 01:18:55 CEST 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Matt Ford <matt at dancingfrog.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> I thought >>= was left associative?  It seems to be in the examples from
> Learn You A Haskell.
>
> I tried to use the associative law to bracket from the right but it didn't
> like that either...
>
> [1,2] >>= (\x -> (\n -> [3,4])) x  >>= \m -> return (n,m))

I think the issue is that you need to first take into account the lambdas
*then* use what you know about the properties of (>>=).

I found this stackoverflow answer helpful (
http://stackoverflow.com/a/11237469)

"The rule for lambdas is pretty simple: the body of the lambda extends as
far to the right as possible without hitting an unbalanced parenthesis."

 So, the first lambda runs to the end of the expression:

[1,2] >>= (\n -> [3,4] >>= \m -> return (n,m))

Now, there is still a lambda nested inside the first lambda: \m -> return
(n,m)

[1,2] >>= (\n -> [3,4] >>= (\m -> return (n,m)))

You violated the implied grouping that these new parentheses make explicit
when you tried to apply the associative law above.

Timon's post continues from this point to show the full deconstruction.

--Rogan