[Haskell-cafe] List Monads and non-determinism

Matt Ford matt at dancingfrog.co.uk
Sat Jul 20 00:23:03 CEST 2013

Hi All,

I thought I'd have a go at destructing

[1,2] >>= \n -> [3,4] >>= \m -> return (n,m)

which results in [(1,3)(1,4),(2,3),(2,4)]

I started by putting brackets in

([1,2] >>= \n -> [3,4]) >>= \m -> return (n,m)

This immediately fails when evaluated: I expect it's something to do
with the n value now not being seen by the final return.

It seems to me that the return function is doing something more than
it's definition (return x = [x]).

If ignore the error introduced by the brackets I have and continue to
simplify I get.

[3,4,3,4] >>= \m -> return (n,m)

Now this obviously won't work as there is no 'n' value.  So what's
happening here? Return seems to be doing way more work than lifting the
result to a list, how does Haskell know to do this?  Why's it not in the
function definition?  Are lists somehow a special case?

Any pointers appreciated.

Matt