[Haskell-cafe] catching IO errors in a monad transformer stack

David Sorokin david.sorokin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 06:29:08 CEST 2013

Hi!

The exception handling is a difficult thing. It is usually simple enough but sometimes it can be very difficult, especially when using continuations within the monadic computation. To feel it, I often remember how the exceptions are handled in the F# async workflow (the sources are open), but their approach should be slightly adopted for Haskell what I did in one my simulation library (as far as I understand, the IO exception cannot arise in a pure value; therefore IOException should be caught in another place, namely in the liftIO function).

I'm not sure whether there is a common pattern for handling the exceptions (the mentioned MonadCatchIO instance contains a warning regarding ContT). Therefore it is reasonable to allow the programmer himself/herself to define these handlers through the type class.

Thanks,
David