[Haskell-cafe] partially indeterminate?

Christopher Howard christopher.howard at frigidcode.com
Tue Jul 16 01:39:40 CEST 2013

Hi. For learning, I was doing the "phone words" problem, where a
function translates the digits of a phone number into all possible
words. I am trying to connect this idea to the idea of list
comprehensions / list monads (sort of the same thing, yes?)

I know it is easy to do this:

w = do two <- "ABC"

       three <- "DEF"

       four <- "GHI"

       -- and the other digits

       [[two, three, two, four]] -- for example

But what if you don't know in advance what the digits will be? I'm not
sure how to insert that deterministic component into this idea. So far,
I have a framework like so:

p dx = do undefined

  where m = map (\d -> case d of

                        2 -> "ABC"