[Haskell-cafe] Non-recursive let [Was: GHC bug? Let with guards loops]

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon Jul 15 04:31:08 CEST 2013

On 13/07/2013, at 11:27 PM, J. Stutterheim wrote:
>> - they then abandoned the Macintosh world for
>>  Windows.  The Mac IDE was killed off; there is
>>  now an IDE for Windows but not MacOS or Linux.
>
> The good news is that the latest version of Clean[2] and its code generator[3] now works fine again on 64 bit Mac OS X

Is that still the command-line tools, or has the IDE been resurrected?

>> - other major features remain Windows-only
>
> The bad news is that this is true to some extend; the dynamics system is still largely Windows-only. However, this is the only language feature I can think of that really is Windows-only.

I have never been able to understand why there should be ANY
OS-dependency in the dynamics feature.

>> - the available books about Clean are way out of
>>  date, several drafts of other books remain
>>  incomplete.
>> - the documentation (like the Report) has always been
>>  rather amateurish and incomplete.  Certainly
>>  compared with the Haskell documentation.
>
> An iTasks book is actually in the works, which will contain a fair bit of Clean (although it is not a dedicated Clean book). There are also concrete plans to update the language manual soon-ish.

Not to be offensive, because after saying "Denk U" I have no more
Dutch words I can use, but it would really pay to find a native
speaker of English to give the manual a final polish.

>> - there is nothing to compare with the Haskell Platform.
>
> Actually, yes there is[4].

A misundertanding.  "Nothing to compare with" is idiomatic for
"nothing of comparable size to".  Yes, you _can_ compare the
Clean Platform with the Haskell Platform; it's a lot smaller.

> It can be described as a mix between Haskell Platform and a mini Hackage-like repository. There is no such thing as a Clean alternative to cabal install, though.
>
> Keep in mind that there is only a handful of people working on Clean, while Haskell has a huge community in comparison.

Haskell has always benefited from
- openness
- multiple implementations
- documentation