[Haskell-cafe] build failure on Hackage

Brian Lewis brian at lorf.org
Sat Jul 13 21:30:01 CEST 2013

I maintain a library that, on Linux, needs libXxf86vm to build. The
server where Hackage runs doesn't have that library, so the build fails.
I think this is reasonable -- that box can't possibly have all the
libraries various packages might need. But the build failure seems to
cause the Haddock docs to not be generated. Why?

My understanding is, if someone specifies my library as a build
dependency, my library's build failure will also cause the docs for
their package not to be built. I think my library will kill the Hackage
Haddock docs for any other package that depends on it, due to a build
error that's not even meaningful.

What can I do?