[Haskell-cafe] Non-recursive let [Was: GHC bug? Let with guardsloops]

Donn Cave donn at avvanta.com
Thu Jul 11 01:09:30 CEST 2013

quoth Andreas Abel <andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de>,
> I would doubt that nhc98 would interpret  let xs = 0 : xs  differently
> than ghc if it implemented anything close to the Haskell 98 standard.

What I (so vaguely) remember was a compile error, for some reuse of
an identifier where GHC permitted it.  I suppose you're right, anyway,
probably something else - maybe unambiguous nested shadowing?

  let x = t + 1 in
      let y = x in
          let x = y + 1 in x

GHC allows this, and of course there's no recursion.

	Donn