[Haskell-cafe] Music / MIDI help

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 17:20:08 CEST 2013

I'm a little lost in the bewildering array of music packages for Haskell,
and need some help.

I'm looking to recreate one of my algorithmic music compositions from the
1980s. I can easily code the logic in Haskell.

I'm looking for a the right set of packages and SW so that I can:
a) generate short sequences and play them immediately, preferrably in ghci,
-- but 'runHaskell Foo.hs | barPlayer' would be acceptable
2) generate MIDI files

I'm on OS X.

So far what I've found is: Haskore, the midi package, and the jack package
- and then I'd need some MIDI software synth for the Mac, and Jack based
patcher.... Or perhaps I want SuperCollider, and the Haskell bindings - but
that seems rather low level for my needs here (I don't really need to patch
together my instruments, and I don't want to have re-write the whole timing
framework from scratch.)

So - What's a quick easy path here?

- Mark