[Haskell-cafe] Non-recursive let [Was: GHC bug? Let with guards loops]

oleg at okmij.org oleg at okmij.org
Wed Jul 10 11:08:48 CEST 2013

> If you would like to write
>
>     let (x,s) = foo 1 [] in
>     let (y,s) = bar x s in
>     let (z,s) = baz x y s in
>
> instead, use a state monad.

Incidentally I did write almost exactly this code once. Ironically, it
was meant as a lead-on to the State monad.

But there have been other cases where State monad was better
avoided. For instance, functions like foo and bar are already written
and they are not in the state monad. For example, foo may take a
non-empty Set and return the minimal element and the set without the
minimal element. There are several such handy functions in Data.Set
and Data.Map. Injecting such functions into a Set monad for the sake
of three lines seems overkill.

Also, in the code above s's don't have to have the same type.

I particularly like repeated lets when I am writing the code to apply
transformations to it. Being explicit with state passing improves the
confidence. It is simpler to reason with the pure code.