[Haskell-cafe] Array, Vector, Bytestring

Alfredo Di Napoli alfredo.dinapoli at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 08:57:48 CEST 2013

> To make the transition easier I have an experimental library which
> defines a ByteString as a type synonym of a Storable.Vector of Word8
> and provides the same interface as the bytestring package:
>
> https://github.com/basvandijk/vector-bytestring

That's interesting Bas. What bothers me about ByteStrings is that they need
to be "pinned" inside the heap,
preventing the GC from collecting them. This is more than an issue, I
think, if a program uses them massively
and they needs to be allocated persistently (example: a long-life
constant). I know is still a marginal case, but
knowing that a part of my heap is pinned makes my sleep quality degrade :(
I assume that working with vector remove the problem, correct?

A.