[Haskell-cafe] question about indentation conventions

Tikhon Jelvis tikhon at jelv.is
Mon Jul 1 16:16:44 CEST 2013

That's certainly true. As I mentioned, I was actually considering a
*pretty-printer* rather than an automatic indentation tool per se. The end
results are similar, but the pretty-printer is really only the latter part
of the problem: it's predicated on already having a valid AST.

My particular use case involved diffing and merging ASTs directly; this
means that I would have to somehow output the result in a human-readable
format. Moreover, the actual AST I was outputting could have been the
combination of two others, without any prior concrete syntax! I still
haven't worked out a good way to do this for Haskell (or, to be fair, any
other language).

But yeah, Haskell is pretty intractable as far as language grammars go. I
think this is a great compromise--I value language expressiveness over
tooling--but it certainly is a compromise.