[Haskell-cafe] question about indentation conventions

Sturdy, Ian sturdyi12 at mail.wlu.edu
Mon Jul 1 15:34:56 CEST 2013

I always preferred (I think going back to my lisp days)

    foo x y

indenting subsequent arguments to the same level as the first, but I have not convinced haskell-mode to do that for me. (The general rule here being that similar things should be at the same indent, which will always result in subexpressions being further indented, but is somewhat more specific.)

The case I never quite know what to do with is a series of expressions connected with operators, e.g.

    foo
    <|> bar
    <|> baz

Leaving operators at the beginning of lines (rather than trailing the previous line) seems preferable, but does one (where the layout rules apply) align the operator or the function? (the alternative being, if your mail client does not make a mess of it with a variable-width font)

        foo
    <|> bar
    <|> baz

~IRS