[Haskell-cafe] How does one create an input handle bound to a string instead of a file?

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Wed Feb 27 23:50:54 CET 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 9:38 PM, John D. Ramsdell <ramsdell0 at gmail.com>wrote:

> How does one create a value of type System.IO.Handle for reading that
> takes its input from a string instead of a file?  I'm looking for the
> equivalent of java.io.StringReader in Java.  Thanks in advance.

You can't. There are several libraries that purport to provide better
interfaces for doing IO in Haskell, like conduit, pipes, enumerator, and my
own io-streams library (http://github.com/snapframework/io-streams, soon to
be released). You could try one of those.

Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>