[Haskell-cafe] RFC: rewrite-with-location proposal

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Mon Feb 25 19:19:26 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Simon Peyton-Jones
<simonpj at microsoft.com>wrote:

>  I’m afraid the rewrite-rule idea won’t work.  RULES are applied during
> optimisation, when tons of inlining has happened and the program has been
> shaken around a lot. No reliable source location information is available
> there.****
>
> **

Do you mean that the proposal itself won't work, or specifically
implementing this features in terms of existing rewrite rules won't work?

> **
>
> See http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ExplicitCallStack; and
> please edit it.****
>
> **

One thing I'd disagree with on that page is point (3). While it's certainly
nice to have a full stack trace, implementing just shallow call information
is incredibly useful. For logging and test framework usages, it in fact
completely covers the use case. And even for debugging, I think it would be
a massive step in the right direction.

I'll admit to ignorance on the internals of GHC, but it seems like doing
the shallow source location approach would be far simpler than a full
trace. I'd hate to lose a very valuable feature because we can't implement
the perfect feature.