[Haskell-cafe] xml conduit

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Mon Feb 11 05:34:12 CET 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 8:51 PM, grant <thelff at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Michael Snoyman <michael <at> snoyman.com> writes:
>

> Hi Michael,
>
> Just one last thought. Does it make any sense that xml-conduit could be
> rewritten as a lens instead of a cursor? Or leverage the lens package
> somehow?

That's a really interesting idea, I'd never thought about it before. It's
definitely something worth playing around with. However, I think in this
case the Cursor is providing a totally different piece of functionality
than what lenses would do. The Cursor is really working as a Zipper,
allowing you to walk the node tree and do queries about preceding and
following siblings and ancestors.

Now given that every time I'm on #haskell someone mentions zippers in the
context of lens, maybe lens *would* solve this use case as well, but I'm
still a lens novice (if that), so I can't really speak on the matter. Maybe
someone with more lens experience could provide some insight.

Either way, some kind of lens add-on sounds really useful.

Michael