[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] Laborantin: experimentation framework

adam vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 06:43:07 UTC 2013

Hello Lucas,

Am I correct to say that laborantin only does full factorial
experiments? Perhaps there is a straightforward way for users to
specify which model parameters should be confounded in a fractional
factorial design. Another extension would be to move towards
sequential designs, where the trials to run depend on the results so
far. Then more time is spent on the "interesting" regions of the
parameter space.

I think getVar/param could be re-worked to give errors at compile
time. Now you get a runtime error if you typo a parameter or get the
type wrong. Another mistake is to include parameters in the experiment
that do not have any effect on the `run` action, unless those
parameters are there for doing replicates.

Those might be addressed by doing something like:

    a <- parameter "destination" $ do ...
    run $ print =<< param a

Where the types are something like:

  param :: Data.Tagged.Tagged a Text -> M a
  values :: [T a] -> M (Tagged a Text)
  str :: Text -> T Text
  num :: Double -> T Double

with M being whatever state monad you currently use, and param does
the same thing it always has, except now it knows which type you put
in the values list, and it cannot be called with any string. The third
requirement might be met by requiring -fwarn-unused-matches.

An alternative strategy is to change your type Step, into an algebraic
data type with a function to convert it into what it is currently.
Before the experiment happens, you can have a function go through that
data to make sure it will succeed with it's getVar/param. This is
called a deep embedding:
<http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Embedded_domain_specific_language>.

Regards,
Adam