[Haskell-cafe] Question on nested State monads.

lucas di cioccio lucas.dicioccio at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 08:25:58 UTC 2013

Hi David,

> If I want to use a second, nested State monad inside another State monad,
> must I thread the outer monad’s state through the processing of the inner
> one, even if the inner one falls out of scope before I return from the
> processing body of the outer one?

In short: yes you can nest StateT and to access the "inner parts" you need
to lift the get/put/modify functions. The Real-World Haskell book has an
example for stacking monad transformers of a same TypeClass (cf.
http://book.realworldhaskell.org/read/monad-transformers.html "When
explicit lifting is necessary".)

The first time, it's best to convince yourself by writing down the types of
lifted put/get.

Best,
--Lucas