[Haskell-cafe] parametrized data types and Template Haskell

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Thu Dec 26 20:39:38 UTC 2013

My experience with Template Haskell is that any non-trivial code generation (that is, anything more complicated than a simple substitution into a simple template) requires heavy use of the TH constructors, as Adam suggests. I tend to prefer using the non-monadic ones (like `InstanceD :: Cxt -> Type -> [Dec] -> Dec`) over the monadic ones (exported from Language.Haskell.TH.Lib and like `instanceD :: Q Cxt -> Q Type -> [Q Dec] -> Q Dec`), though you may find the opposite is true in your domain. Using these constructors, it is straightforward to specify a context, and you can use an empty list (the type `Cxt` is a synonym for `[Pred]`) for an empty context.

As for naming a parameterized type, just use the base name. So, `Tree a` would be (AppT (ConT (mkName "Tree") (VarT (mkName "a"))) assuming `a` is in scope somehow. You may also be interested in the naming quote syntax: in an expression, code like
'blah
expands out to a name for the term-level thing (i.e., function or variable) named `blah` that is in scope. Code like
''Tree
expands out to a name for the **type**-level thing (i.e., type, type function, class, etc.) name `Tree` that is in scope. Note that the line of code above has two single-quotes and no double-quotes. The number of quotes is necessary to disambiguate data constructors from types.

I hope this helps!
Richard