[Haskell-cafe] Persisting a Map

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Thu Dec 19 05:29:14 UTC 2013

Hey Conrad,

On Thu, 2013-12-19 at 14:24 +1100, Conrad Parker wrote:

> Do you need concurrent access to the on-disk map, or will you just
> load, modify, then store explicitly?

The latter. There will be occasional updates to the map, but I can
signal the workers using it to reload and/or restart them periodically.

> Do you care about data corruption, eg. if your program/hardware fails
> during writing?

My backing store gives me atomic writes, so that's not a problem here
[makes lots of problems go away. Remarkable, really].

> I'd probably just use sqlite via something like esqueleto, because
> it's easy to inspect the stored data outside of your program.

Yeah, if external inspection were necessary that'd definitely be a good
reason to go that way for sure. The report from Ozgur that just
serializing out a Map structure was workable is encouraging, though.
I'll start with that.

AfC
Sydney