[Haskell-cafe] RFC: Top level mutable state in terms of pure-function initialization?

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Sun Dec 15 14:47:58 UTC 2013

Ok, it could work, but it can lead to very subtle bugs. You change the
type of IORef during refactoring (and forget to change it in a different
place), and your program now works wrong (but silently so), because now
it's creating two IORefs instead of one.

A better way would be to have phantomly-typed identifiers, like

  class IsRefId c where
    initialContents :: c a -> a
    toInt :: c a -> Int

  data MyRefId a where
    Ref1 :: RefId Int
    Ref2 :: RefId Bool

  instance IsRefId MyRefId where ...

  idToIORef :: IsRefId c => c a -> IORef a

Still can be abused (by not constraining phantom types properly), but
can also provide safety if used right.

(And no, Eq is not strictly necessary, because you convert to integers
anyway.)

Roman

* EatsKittens <temporalabstraction at gmail.com> [2013-12-15 15:05:40+0100]